Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How do you approach the drums?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Kurt R's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    650
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm trying to see how you thnk the drums should be played. The greats are greats why? Because they created their own style. You can practice and have the best chops in the world but if you just play everythnig virg does you're prod. not going to get as famous as him. How do you approach a song or style? To you do what you hear or do what you think sounds right to you?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Drumdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    171
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Drumming is an emotional outlet for the soul. I like to look at the whole Universe as being made up of Rhythm and Melody. Everything consists of it. I find myself humming and tapping to most things in life, whether it is sitting at a stoplight tapping to the turn signal or the drip of a faucet. Amongst everything, there is rhythm. Melody surrounds us too. Birds, factories, engines, lawn mowers, even wind creates melody. So when approaching the drums, I try to bring the music alive as if out in the everyday world. I try to paint a picture using different colors and textures around the drum kit. To embellish the music destination. It?s very important to know what the musical situation calls for, what you personally are looking for, as well as what the chemistry in the room calls for. It should always be fun?
    A lot of time, the drums play me [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Sammy

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "How do you approach the drums?"

    ....good question. I normally go upstairs, open the practice room door and approach them from behind, sitting on the stool first before I play.

    Hope this helps

    [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You know what's funny, Dawg?

    A couple of yrs ago I was doing something out in the back yard...& i stopped & happened to 'perk an ear' up to the sounds that were going on around me...birds, several of which were closer & more predominant than others, & wind, & some windchymes that were hanging out there...& after a minute or so i actually started noticing a distinct rhythmic pulse in all those sounds...[& no, I never did shrooms or acid or whatever!]...i mean, accents, & a genuine pulse...I made sure i stayed quiet & still even longer to make sure i wasn't "hearing things,' & it turns out i actually wasn't...it broke up after several minutes [kinda like Blade w Shorter [img]wink.gif[/img] ], but still long enough to give me a couple of chills down my spine...[no, i am NOT joining the church of scientology anytime soon!]...w/out approaching "Carl Sagan-land" [kinda like Disneyland, only more stars!], I'd say that ENAT, sometimes, the things we ignore as 'random' may not necessarily be so...unless we clear the mind & 'tune in' an ear...[OK, now all you guys can start laughing & saying, "i always KNEW that guy was a little crazy!"] [img]tongue.gif[/img] oooWOOOOoooooooo...
    nee-nee-nee-nee [& repeat - Twilight Zone melody]...

    [Dazz, you beat me to it!...I used to approach the kit w a shot in 1 hand & a brewski in the other...club gigs...3rd or 4th set] [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    Best serious answer i can give is the obvious: learn, listen, do your 'homework,' & play as musically as you can within the style/genre...less focus on 'licks' for licks' sake [altho rock & fusion styles sometimes allow for some, but still stay musical!], lay a good pulse foundation for & listen w big ears to your bandmates, & stay out of the way of soloists for the most part]...& you don't have to mimic every lick that they play, rhythmically, altho occasionally, sporadically it's OK...try to 'complement' it ENAT [but not every bar!]...if you gat a solo or break, stay w the form of the tune [think 'melodically' ;c)] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
    Practice w a click/drum machine/programmed sequence...

    & Remember...groove/pocket & musicality is EVERYTHING...

    ..."...Approach the drums..."...that is actually a pretty broad '?'... [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 29, 2004 02:58 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member ashio nz's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2001
    Posts
    235
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah - I sneak up on 'em from behind....boo!

    Drums serve the music for me. I treat them as accompanying instrument rather than a soloing instrument (I've never been comfortable with soloing).

    But maybe that's a personality thing? I really enjoy listening to a tasteful solo because there's musicality in there. There's a purpose.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ashio...not to sidetrack [img]wink.gif[/img] , but you just reminded me of a splendid Weckl solo off Mike Stern's Between the Lines CD, the tune You Never Know...awesome DW solo...one of the best I've ever heard at that tempo & groove over those gtr hits [which are not that difficult, but, MAN, that drum solo...sa-weeet]... [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "I'd say that ENAT, sometimes, the things we ignore as 'random' may not necessarily be so...unless we clear the mind & 'tune in' an ear..." Fuse


    ...WORD...

  8. #8
    Inactive Member editamelc's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2004
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How do you approach the drums?

    most often not in the missionary position!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •